Silicon Carbide Diodes: Introduction
- Silicon carbide is a semiconductor compound with superior power characteristics than silicon, which make it ideal for use in power electronics applications
- In a silicon carbide diode, a connection is formed between the semiconductor and the metal to create a Schottky barrier
- Silicon power diodes with the highest performance are known as Schottky barrier diodes. These diodes have the lowest reverse recovery time, which reduces switching losses and increases system efficiency.
- Silicon carbide diodes are available in low weight and small size, and at an affordable price. They offer high efficiency and operation at high temperatures, due to which they are increasingly used in applications such as solar inverters, telecom power supplies, switch-mode power supplies, uninterruptible power supplies, industrial motor drives, and electric vehicle charging stations.
- Silicon carbide diodes are employed in various end-use sectors such as automotive, industrial, and energy & utility
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Rise in Demand for Silicon Carbide Diodes in Power Supply Applications
- Silicon carbide diodes are largely used in power supply applications such as computers and telecommunications, as they have extremely low forward voltage drop, which helps reduce the power loss and increase the system efficiency
- Additionally, due to low forward voltage drop, silicon carbide diodes have higher switching speed than comparable p-n junction diodes
- Moreover, rise in the demand for renewable energy sources across the globe is also boosting the global silicon carbide diodes market, as these diodes are used in renewable energy systems, owing to their high reliability and reduced switching loss
- As a result of these advantages, the demand for silicon carbide diodes for use in electric and electronic applications is increasing. This is expected to drive the global silicon carbide diodes market during the forecast period.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Global Market, Request for a Sample
Automotive Segment to Witness Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on end-use industry, the global silicon carbide diodes market can be segmented into automotive, industrial, and energy & utility
- The automotive industry has emerged as an attractive sector for investments for organizations across the globe. In this sector, silicon carbide diodes are increasingly used in electric vehicles and electric vehicle charging stations. Several manufacturers of silicon carbide diodes are focusing on providing products with high efficiency, high-frequency operations, reduction in the system cost and complexity, and low switching loss.
- Additionally, use of silicon carbide diodes in automobiles is beneficial, as it makes power conversion systems in electric vehicle charging stations more reliable
- Thus, increase in use of silicon carbide diodes in the automotive industry is expected to offer lucrative opportunities to the global silicon carbide diodes market during the forecast period