The case study on the brand.
Black Shark Pro is a recently launched gaming phone. And it has a few competitors on the market.
- Black Shark website https://eu.blackshark.com/
Here is the given information structured in a easy-to-understand mind map.
I went through active users and Fans profiles in Black Shark's Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/BlackSharkGlobal/) and studied their interests and language.
Fans describe the phone with these words and phrases
beast, amazing, stylish, made for intensive usage, hardcore and the common opinion is that the product is "really exciting technology at an awesome price".
Most fans have interest in The Avengers, sports cars, UFC, PUB G and memes.
I connected with a few people representing target audience. From what they say it was clear that it is most important to know
- how much does the phone cost
- what games are performing better because of this phone
- technical parameters of the phone that allow it to perform better than competitors
Camera quality or other parameters don't matter as much.
Social media planning.
Main goals for Black Shark's content
1. Build a Community
As a community it is important for each individual to feel that they are special and brand cares about them. In Facebook group some users are complaining about bad customer service. In Reviews section one negative comment repeats over and over again, it says that this user's comments get deleted and that the customer support ignores him. It is very important to keep in touch with the customers and reply to their comments. Especially if there is any kind of an issue.
2. Increase Brand Awareness
3. Boost Engagement
For each goal I selected a few examples of post's types.
Building a community:
Unique deals for Black Shark 2 owners, chats and survey posts, additional closed groups and events, memes related to the brand, customised wallpapers for the phone, reposts of the users content.
Increase Brand Awareness:
evergreen posts - videos and pictures featuring the advantages of the phone like Snapdragon 855+, community events announcements, external curated content, announcements counting days before the next launch in a country.
Step-by-Step Instructions, How-to Guides, special deals and events, regular competitions among the users or fans, memes related to the gaming industry.
Here is the Content Plan Table link.
To make each platform's content unique I decided to divide it between Facebook and Twitter. Because Twitter functionality is limited I moved the most interaction with the fans to Facebook. And left all the most engaging content for Twitter.
Content visuals and copy examples.
Example of a brand post.
Example of a copy for a post about the latest event.
Examples of the visuals that can be used for the wallpapers compilation post.
Examples of curated content. Youtube Unboxing videos.
There are a few brands competitors:
Razer Phone 2, Asus ROG phone, Nubia red magic 3, OnePlus 7 Pro, Huawei P30 Pro.
There are also similar in style and in my opinion related brands:
Monster, Alienware, Nvidia GeForce.
I decided to go through already existing ads of the competitors and the related brands.
I also checked Facebook business success stories.
Some brands were using a Playable Ad Creative which is a native to gamers way of advertising. And which might work just right for Black Shark Strategy.
From the first look on the website it seems a bit outdated. The product was launched in a U.K. region, but the website button still says "Notify me". The overall design doesn't specify all the powerful sides of the device.
It might have an effect on sales.
- E-mail lists, people who recently bought Black Shark 2 can be targeted with additional devices ads. Use e-mail retargeting.
- People who previously bought Black Shark 1 can be targeted with the message to upgrade.
- High value engagers - website and Facebook visitors, people who pressed the key buttons. Add % discount for users who dropped out of the funnel, abandoned the cart.
- Look-a-like. Build LAL audiences based on customers who had the highest lifetime value and are likely to buy.
- Test Interest based audiences separately in EU and SEA. Use a special deal code.
- Run visually appealing ads on Facebook feed, suggested videos, Instagram feed and Stories. Lead to the main page or product landing page.
- The Campaign might be supported by a giveaway promoted on the website, Instagram and Facebook.
To the bottom of funnel 5-10%.
60% of the budget to people who never heard about Black Shark.
- The main audience is males, aged 18–35 who are early technology adopters with a keen interest in technology.
- Audiences countries can be targeted accordingly to the sales launching schedule.
- And age can be broken down on smaller audiences when the first tests will show the results.
- Audiences should exclude people recently visited the website or those who already bought the phone.
Here are some examples of the audiences.
I would suggest videos as it is the most engaging format for the targeted audiences.
Here are some examples how I see the ads for the brand.
The ad creatives must be the most appealing to the target audience and there is lots of materials to work with already provided by Black Shark pro.
However there is also an alternative way. Some visuals can show the real experience having a Black Shark pro and feature UGC content like:
- Boomerang or a short video for Instagram stories. A hand holding and turning Black Shark, UGC style. The phone shines and reflects the light with the different angles. The video can feature Black Shark in different colors one by one.
- A short video comparing experience playing with the regular phone on the left VS game experience with Black Shark 2 on the right.
- A quick unboxing video. Real life experience of owning Black Shark 2.
A finished MindMap
Here is a Google folder with all used materials.
In this folder you can find the following:
- Facebook and Twitter social media content plan
- Mind map
- Custom Audience screenshots