Bioinformatics services involves the development of tools, techniques and software for visualizing genome, gene and protein structure. The rise in the development in the field of information technology has expanded its application in the healthcare.
The development has evolved information technology and software engineering which has resulted into sophisticated algorithms for performing efficient and faster analysis. The use of bioinformatics has led to various innovations in the healthcare industry and has benefited various healthcare applications.
What is Bioinformatics?
Bio + Informatics = Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field that develops computational methods and software packages for analyzing biological data. As an interdisciplinary field of science, bioinformatics combines technologies from computer science, statistics, and optimization to process biological data. The ultimate goal of bioinformatics is to discover new biological insights through the analysis of biological data.
Currently, a general pipeline for addressing a science problem in bioinformatics is as follows:
1. Wet labs design experiments and prepare samples.
2. Large amount of biological data are generated.
3. Existing (or new) computational and statistical methods are applied (or developed).
4. Data analysis results are further validated by wet lab testing.
5. If necessary, the procedure of 1–4 is repeated with refinements.
However, bioinformatics research often reflects a two-sided problem :
(1) Researchers in computer science and other related fields just regard bioinformatics as one specific application of their theories and methods due to the inability to provide precise solutions to complex molecular biology problems.
(2) Biologists focus on hypothesis testing of wet labs so that bioinformatics serves as a tool for analyzing the biological data generated from their experiments.
It is not difficult to see that both sides have their own limitations. Computational scientists need to have a good understanding of biology and biomedical sciences, whereas biologists need to better understand the nature of their data analysis problem from an algorithmic perspective. Therefore, the lack of integration of these two sides not only limits the development of life science research but also limits the development of computational methods in bioinformatics.
The bioinformatics operating in the across the globe includes
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Illumina Inc., PerkinElmer, Inc., BGI, Source BioScience, QIAGEN, CD Genomics, GENEWIZ, BaseClear B.V., Fios Genomics And Others
Bioinformatics has become a buzzword in today’s world of Science. About one or two decades ago, people saw biology and computer science as two entirely different fields. One would learn about living beings and their functions whereas the other would learn about computers and underlying theories. However, at present, there seems to be a mere separation between the two fields and this new field, bioinformatics, has emerged as a combination of both Computer Science and Biology.
Why Learn and Apply bioinformatics?
Bioinformatics has become an interdisciplinary science and if you are a biologist, you will find that having knowledge in bioinformatics can benefit you immensely with your experiments and research.
Want To Know More about Bioinformatics Services..??