Interspinous Process Decompression Devices Market: Introduction
- Interspinous process decompression devices are also known as interspinous spacers. Interspinous process decompression is a minimally invasive procedure which utilizes a stand-alone spacer that serves as a joint extension blocker, for relieving neural compression in patients with spinal stenosis.
- Interspinous spacers can be defined as medical devices that are implanted in the lower spine to relieve painful symptoms of spinal stenosis, which is caused due to narrowing of spinal canal. Lumbar spinal stenosis is thinning of the spinal canal in the lower back, which causes compression of nerves. The condition develops gradually with age.
- Spacers are placed between two interspinous processes in the lower spine through minimally invasive procedures. Interspinous spacers are implanted between those vertebrae in such a way that they prevent patients from bending too far backward. The procedure is simple, and sometimes patient can go home within a day.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Interspinous Process Decompression Devices Market Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Interspinous Process Decompression Devices Market
- Increase in demand for minimally invasive procedures for the treatment of lumbar spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and other related disorders, compared to spinal fusion procedures, contributes to the growth of the interspinous process decompression devices market. Moreover, the interspinous spacer placement has lower complication rates than decompression and spinal fusion techniques.
- Increase in geriatric population is considered to be a key driver of the interspinous process decompression devices market. Various organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and Population Reference Bureau indicate that the percentage of population aged above 50 is increasing at a steady pace compared to the geriatric population. The risk of degenerative disc disorder and lumbar spinal disorder significantly increases with age.
- Interspinous process decompression devices are implanted through minimally invasive surgical procedures and have less complication rates compared to other conventional surgical procedures. However, these pose higher risk of reoperation. The target patient population for interspinous process decompression devices procedures is mostly above 60 years and has some other medical conditions. Hence, the chances for repeated surgery for this group of patients treated with interspinous process decompression devices are higher. This might have a negative impact on the growth of the interspinous process decompression devices market.
North America to Lead Global Interspinous Process Decompression Devices Market
- In terms of region, the global interspinous process decompression devices market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global interspinous process decompression devices market in 2018, owing to a high prevalence of lumbar spinal stenosis in the U.S., high adoption of advanced surgical techniques, and rise in affordability of the population in the region makes North America an attractive region of the interspinous process decompression devices market. However, stringent regulatory requirements are likely to restrict market penetration.
- Europe was the second largest market for interspinous process decompression devices in 2018, followed by Asia Pacific. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for interspinous process decompression devices, followed by Latin America and Middle East & Africa. Significant increase in geriatric population in Japan and China; high prevalence and rise in incidence rates of lumbar spinal stenosis and degenerative disc diseases; and anticipated new product commercialization are likely to drive the interspinous process decompression devices market in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Interspinous Process Decompression Devices Market Report