Немного о журналистике
Politicians care of the light future,
About the light past - historians,
About the light present - journalists.
If young people wished to be actors-actresses earlier, modern school-leavers want to be journalists. They are attracted by a status of a free artist.
Some people think journalism is creativity, others - a craft, but its known: journalists will never change their uneasy profession to another. Constant change of events, talking with interesting people and active life attracts them a lot.
What is journalism? People answer differently. But there are some famous statements:
Journalism is romance.
Journalism is the Fourth power.
Journalism is newspapers and magazines.
Journalism is radio and television.
Journalism is correspondents.
Journalism is creativity.
Journalism is information.
And this list can be continued while journalism exists and creativity is necessary for people.
Journalist (fr. Jour - day) is a member of a periodical edition who picks, remakes information quickly, writes competently and well his interesting talks. Journalists make for us news in newspapers, on TV, radio and in the Internet. Because of that there are different journalist specializations:
- contributor of a periodical editions (newspapers, journals, magazines)
- journalists of electronic mass-media (TV, radio, Internet)
- photojournalists (sometimes photos arent only illustrations to an article, they can be a high-quality product).
Such trade as stringer has been widely spread recently. A stringer is an independent journalist who takes ideas and topics from hot places. It helps him to get the topical news directly from the event centre often with a risk to life. Often stringer-correspondent works as a regular journalist in some provincial broadcasting company, but he tries to earn money in the capital channel.
Today journalist works in a periodical edition, tomorrow he will be a TV or radio-correspondent. He often changes his specialization.
In Russia the first printed newspaper appeared in the XVIII century. On the 17th of December 1702 first editions of "Vedomosti" were published. Newspapers included abroad and home events. Peter the First took partin the papers compilation choosing important news and events.
Journalist needs professional qualities and skills to correspond to the requirements of the Russian modern mass-media. They are:
1. Literacy, erudition, style.
2. Good practical skills of a journalist.
5. The Professional etiquette, decency.
6. Life experience.
7. Figurative thinking.
8. Good memory.
9. Creative and art abilities.
So, for a tele- and radio reporter its important to have accurate diction and excellent reaction, especially at work on air. The leader of a show should be able to formulate interesting questions, to listen and hear the interlocutor and to direct conversation to the necessary course.
Work of the journalist consists of several stages.
- Information search. Work of the journalist on 90 % consists of search of the necessary information. Observation is an important property for each journalist. This ability cannot have "days off and lunch breaks". There is even a professional method - for a certain time the journalist becomes a part of that minicommunity about which he is going to write. For example, goes to work as the waiter in restaurant and studies a life from within. But its terribly hard to make "tasty" information from the official materials.
- Information Processing. The collected material should be studied, analysed, the facts should be rechecked attentively, to clear the arisen questions.
- The Feedback. The published article, the gone on the air plot find the response in the hearts of people. Readers, radio listeners, televiewers quite often write letters to edition, call. The journalist is obliged to trace opinion of an audience.
In spite of all charm profession of the journalist, there are several pluses and minuses. Some of
the pluses are:
- Active life
- Meetings and speaking to many famous, talented and interesting people
- Possibility to travel, to be everywhere
- A status of a free artist (you havent to work from call to call)
The minuses are:
- Unlimited working day (a journalist has to work a lot to be the first among other correspondents)
- Impossibility to be off from work, because there are many things to write an article or to make a plot for TV show
- Journalism is a dangerous profession
If you want to be a journalist you have to say "good bye" to holidays and weekends. Journalism is an assignment for all your life. Its usual to answer the night calls of your boss, to have urgent affairs and trips, sometimes you can see terrible dreams about your article. But you shouldnt wait for a recognition from a society for your hard work and sleepless nights. However journalists wont change their job for another, because their work is from the heart: not every men can write affecting articles, make plots that can help you feel and help you to be better.
Its possible to earn big money in journalism only when you recommend yourself. It depends on your abilities, on good luck and, of course, on your knowledges. If you wish to earn to your life by journalism, you should do the same daily. The main care of the correspondent is to sell information and for this purpose its necessary to find a "bomb" in everything. Sometimes you will discover America.
Its necessary to prove your indispensability to get the work. You should be a master in many fields to be able to edit texts and to make a candy from hopeless material, to invent interesting themes, to compose improbable headlines, to work in a non-stop mode.
Journalistic work is a 25-hours working day increased on fat unknown X. You never know what will happen today, when you will finish your next article…
In some newspapers, on radio or on TV I often can see boys and girls of our faculty who have achieved a lot in their job. Some students want to get only a diploma and they dont want to be journalists. Some more ambitious persons would like to be editors.
In journalism like other professions there are keen on their work people who do favorite job, but there are people who only work for money.
After the talk with students of the 5th course I understood why they had chosen journalism - they want to embody their ideas, to create something new and use knowledge on practice.
Only those students will be true journalists who feel its their mission, who are ready to accept it with pluses and minuses, work with great pleasure and understand that journalism is a way of life, not only a profession.
So, go safely straight, break the closed doors, achieve you to been accepted, listen, read, as once in 20s, 30s, 40s years your favourite writers knocked on the doors of different editions. And if you really wish to become a journalist you will succeed.
Journalists use modern technologies lately. For example, they find information in the Internet, work on computers, printers. So correspondents make their articles, plots quickly. But, of course, great talent, creativity play an important role in journalists career. A creative person will be essential in different activities.
Sometimes not qualified journalists hurt people with their materials to earn money, and this is terrible. Only without animus and irresponsibility journalism will gain the second breath. True journalist should not only amaze, delight readers, but they should inspire others to do something kind and believe in oneself.
If you feel inspiration at once, you will try to feel this again. It doesnt matter what you are: a journalist, a philologist, a mathematician - you have to be a creative person to be the best in your profession.
As for me, I am in constant search of my creativity, because if I dont write, make plots I can lose my abilities. And its difficult to return them. Journalism is a creative profession, but its very difficult, thats why its very interesting.