When parents select a school for their child, they are choosing with their heart, not their mind. This is how we make most of our purchases as well. Branding is all about winning the hearts of customers. It is an insubstantial feeling, an emotion.
All other “things,” you perhaps associate with a school brand, like a logo, colors, and school website design, are only the visual characteristics of that brand. Unless yours is a well-known brand, it isn’t likely that most people who see your school logo or school colors will have a strong emotion related to those images. But creating emotion and the feeling of belonging must be the goal and what branding is all about. When you can achieve that, you’re a hero, and your school will be as well. Here, we will discuss the ways to an efficient school branding.
1. Define your school’s brand
– your important messages, logo, color scheme & visual language. This needs working with your leadership team to articulate what sets you apart.
2. Position your school brand across all communication materials
- work through a prioritized list; from those items which make a major impression with potential customers (website, prospectus, pamphlet design for schools, etc.) down to those which reflect on your inner customer circles (uniforms, newsletters, email footer, take-home notes, name badges are included too).
3. Templates – Set up branded electronic templates for internal use so correspondence & communication materials are developed consistently. Templates are normally warmly received and make life easier for your busy staff.
4. Educate – Including brand education on your staff meeting or Development Day agenda and empower staff with the knowledge and tools to be brand ambassadors. From the receptionist’s phone manner to how are teachers dealing with parents’ inquiries, they all send a message about who your school is. Deploy consistency in your school’s communications and consider implementing it in school policy.
5. Brand champions – Employ selected staff members from a cross-section of your school to create school branding ideas & champion the school brand and act as the ‘brand cop’ in their department. A group of people from within your organization - not just the marketing people - will interact with your target market. All of those people need to completely understand your brand, live your brand and deliver your brand every day, to reflect your school's identity.
6. Brand stories – Encourage your staff to share classroom stories that symbolize your school’s messages and values in action. Their everyday stories are all opportunities to reflect and build your school’s identity in your school community.
7. Enjoy the process and build school pride - As a school leader you are the ultimate brand champion and your Proficient team will be looking up to you. Your school’s journey presents opportunities to work with your team to bring your school's values to life and build your school culture and spirit.
It is significant for schools to employ a progressive, forward-thinking school marketing agenc When parents select a school for their child, they are choosing with their heart, not their mind. This is how we make most of our purchases as well. Branding is all about winning the hearts of customers. It is an insubstantial feeling, an emotion.