What is affected by sleep
- How a Good Sleep Predicts Life Satisfaction: The Role of Zero-Sum Beliefs About Happiness
- Prospective study: sleep and depression
Cognitive function and productivity
- Meta-analysis about the relationship of sleep and memory
- Great meta-analysis of how sleep affects different cognitive functions
- RCT: 6 hours for 2 weeks, equivalent to 2 nights without sleep. In terms of effects on cognitive function
- The role of sleep for memory
- Those who study in the morning have an average higher academic performance than those who study in the evening (272 students RCT cognitive test + poll)
- Interactions between sleep habits and self-control
- A Time for Learning and a Time for Sleep: The Effect of Sleep Deprivation on Contextual Fear Conditioning at Different Times of the Day
- Both Duration and Timing of Sleep are Important to Memory Consolidation
- Meta-analysis of prospective studies: how sleep is associated with CVD
- Daylight saving time increases by 25% the number of heart attacks on the next day compared to all other Mondays of the year and decreases by 21% when they are transferred back and people received an extra hour
- Time Transfer and CVD Risks
Diabetes and obesity
- Case study: the effect of sleep on obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes risk
- Meta-analysis: sleep and type 2 diabetes risk
- Association of Insufficient Sleep With Respiratory Infection Among Adults in the United States
- Sleep Disturbance, Sleep Duration, and Inflammation: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies and Experimental Sleep Deprivation. Нарушения сна влияет на протекание воспалительных процессов, но не сокращение сна
- Physical activity, sleep and risk of respiratory infections: A Swedish cohort study
- Observational study of mortality due to lack of sleep and insomnia
- A large meta-analysis of prospective studies: how sleep duration is associated with mortality
- Systematic review + meta-analysis. How sleep is associated with all causes of death
- Meta-analysis: how short daytime is associated with mortality and CVD
Meta-analyzes and systematic reviews of the effects of sleep on many aspects
- The Global Problem of Insufficient Sleep and Its Serious Public Health Implications
- Sleep: A Health Imperative
- Systematic Review: Time Translation and Traffic Accidents
What affects sleep
- Systematic review of cochrane, jet lag melatonin
- Review: the effectiveness of melatonin to improve sleep
- Old little RCT: amber lenses improve sleep
- RCT: blocking the blue spectrum for insomnia
- Systematic review: the effect of light on circadian rhythms
- The effect of a computer screen on melatonin
- Does the iPad Night Shift mode reduce melatonin suppression?
- Sunset time affects when people want to sleep (observational meta-analysis, 36k)
- Effect of Inhaled Lavender and Sleep Hygiene on Self-Reported Sleep Issues: A Randomized Controlled Trial
- An olfactory stimulus modifies nighttime sleep in young men and women
- Screening of clock gene polymorphisms demonstrates association of a PER3 polymorphism with morningness-eveningness preference and circadian rhythm sleep disorder.
- Effects of feet warming using bed socks on sleep quality and thermoregulatory responses in a cool environment
- Sleep and thermoregulation
- Warm feet promote the rapid onset of sleep
- Skin temperature and sleep-onset latency: changes with age and insomnia.
- Before-bedtime passive body heating by warm shower or bath to improve sleep: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- A shower before bedtime may improve the sleep onset latency of youth soccer players.
- Bathing before sleep in the young and in the elderly
- Functional link between distal vasodilation and sleep-onset latency?
Big analyzes of various factors
- The Role of Sleep Hygiene in Promoting Public Health: A Review of Empirical Evidence
- Can Slow-Wave Sleep Enhancement Improve Memory? A Review of Current Approaches and Cognitive Outcomes
The importance of sleep quality, not just quantity
- Sleep quality versus sleep quantity: relationships between sleep and measures of health, well-being and sleepiness in college students.
- Is Sleep Quality More Important than Sleep Duration for Public Health?
- The Pittsburgh sleep quality index: A new instrument for psychiatric practice and research https://www.opapc.com/uploads/documents/PSQI.pdf
- Evaluating the Validity of Current Mainstream Wearable Devices in Fitness Tracking Under Various Physical Activities: Comparative Study
- The effect of sleep on the risk of viral diseases. RCTs with huge CI
- Melatonin and pancreatic islets: interrelationships between melatonin, insulin and glucagon.
- Increased Risk of Upper Respiratory Infection in Military Recruits Who Report Sleeping Less Than 6 h per night.
- Climate change and sleep: A systematic review of the literature and conceptual framework
- Functional link between distal vasodilation and sleep-onset latency?
- Sleep deprivation and neurobehavioral dynamics.
- Cumulative sleepiness, mood disturbance, and psychomotor vigilance performance decrements during a week of sleep restricted to 4-5 hours per night.
- The benefits of a nap during prolonged work and wakefulness
- Sleep loss causes social withdrawal and loneliness
- The future of sleep health: a data-driven revolution in sleep science and medicine
- The relationship between subjective sleep quality and cognitive performance in healthy young adults: Evidence from three empirical studies
- Short sleep is associated with higher prevalence and increased predicted risk of cardiovascular diseases in an Iranian population: Fasa PERSIAN Cohort Study
- The association between alcohol consumption and sleep disorders among older people in the general population
- Effects of Catecholamine Depletion on Alertness and Mood in Rested and Sleep Deprived Normal Volunteers
- J-curve relation between daytime nap duration and type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome: A dose-response meta-analysis
- Health, happiness, and a good night's sleep
- The Relationships between Life Satisfaction and Sleep Quality, Sleep Duration and Variability of Sleep in University Students
- Nighttime temperature and human sleep loss in a changing climate
- Effects of Relaxing Music on Healthy Sleep
- Genetic analysis of sleep
- Interactions between sleep, stress, and metabolism: From physiological to pathological conditions
- Positive upshots of cortisol in everyday life
- Sleep loss results in an elevation of cortisol levels the next evening.
- The Role of Cortisol in Sleep
- Небольшой исследование: связь сна и размера тестикул
- The effect of mindfulness meditation on sleep quality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- Meditation and Its Regulatory Role on Sleep
- Clinical effects of mindfulness meditation and cognitive behavioral therapy standardized for insomnia
- Heartfulness meditation improves sleep in chronic insomnia
- Mindfulness Meditation and Improvement in Sleep Quality and Daytime Impairment Among Older Adults With Sleep Disturbances
- Mindfulness meditation for insomnia: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- Chronic Sleep Disruption Alters Gut Microbiota, Induces Systemic and Adipose Tissue Inflammation and Insulin Resistance in Mice
- Deep sleep maintains learning efficiency of the human brain
- Sleep modulates haematopoiesis and protects against atherosclerosis
- New perspectives on the role of melatonin in human sleep, circadian rhythms and their regulation
- Sleep and immune function
- A single night of partial sleep deprivation induces insulin resistance in multiple metabolic pathways in healthy subjects.
- Growth hormone secretion during sleep
- Association between objectively-measured physical activity and sleep, NHANES 2005–2006
- Melatonin in patients with reduced REM sleep duration: two randomized controlled trials.
- Melatonin and S-20098 increase REM sleep and wake-up propensity without modifying NREM sleep homeostasis.
- Sleep timing is more important than sleep length or quality for medical school performance
- Early versus late bedtimes phase shift the human dim light melatonin rhythm despite a fixed morning light on time
- Short sleep and late bedtimes are detrimental to educational learning and knowledge transfer: An investigation of individual differences in susceptibility.
- The Effects of Bedtime and Sleep Duration on Academic and Emotional Outcomes in a Nationally Representative Sample of Adolescents
- Physical exercise at night blunts the nocturnal increase of plasma melatonin levels in healthy humans.
- Exercise can improve sleep quality: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Sleep onset is disrupted following pre-sleep exercise that causes large physiological excitement at bedtime
- Exercise training improves sleep quality in middle-aged and older adults with sleep problems: a systematic review.
- Effects of Evening Exercise on Sleep in Healthy Participants: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- The effect of physical activity on sleep quality
- Regulation and Functional Correlates of Slow Wave Sleep
- The potential therapeutic effect of melatonin in gastro-esophageal reflux disease
- Melatonin: Buffering the Immune System
- Melatonin, immune function and aging
- Pharmacological interventions for sleepiness and sleep disturbances caused by shift work.
- Melatonin for the promotion of sleep in adults in the intensive care unit
- Meta-Analysis: Melatonin for the Treatment of Primary Sleep Disorders
- How does diurnal intermittent fasting impact sleep, daytime sleepiness, and markers of the biological clock? Current insights
- Associations between chronotype, morbidity and mortality in the UK Biobank cohort
- Associations of Chronotype and Sleep With Cardiovascular Diseases and Type 2 Diabetes
- Свежий документ от ВОЗ. Является ли ночная работа канцерогеном
- Exposure to Room Light before Bedtime Suppresses Melatonin Onset and Shortens Melatonin Duration in Humans
- Melatonin the "light of night" in human biology and adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
- Metabolic Consequences in Humans of Prolonged Sleep Restriction Combined with Circadian Disruption
- Resetting the late timing of ‘night owls’ has a positive impact on mental health and performance
- Serum melatonin levels and antioxidant capacities after consumption of pineapple, orange, or banana by healthy male volunteers.
- Time for Food: The Intimate Interplay between Nutrition, Metabolism, and the Circadian Clock
- Short Sleep Duration Is Associated with Reduced Leptin, Elevated Ghrelin, and Increased Body Mass Index
- Meta-Analysis of Short Sleep Duration and Obesity in Children and Adults
- Does poor sleep quality affect skin aging?
- Effects of environmental noise on sleep
- The Effect of Room Acoustics on the Sleep Quality of Healthy Sleepers
- Effect of White Noise on Sleep in Patients Admitted to a Coronary Care
- White noise and sleep induction.
- Environmental noise and sleep disturbances: A threat to health?
- Effects of earplugs and eye masks on nocturnal sleep, melatonin and cortisol in a simulated intensive care unit environment
- Electronic device use in bed reduces sleep duration and quality in adults
- A meta-analysis of the effect of media devices on sleep outcomes
- Heart rate variability predicts sleep efficiency
- Children’s Sleep and Autonomic Function: Low Sleep Quality Has an Impact on Heart Rate Variability
- A Sleep Analysis Method Based on Heart Rate Variability
- Measures of Sleep and Cardiac Functioning During Sleep Using a Multi-Sensory Commercially–Available Wristband in Adolescents
- Changes in respiration, heart rate, and systolic blood pressure in human sleep
- Failure to de-arouse during sleep-onset transitions in the heart rates of individuals with sleep-onset insomnia
- Reading from an iPad or from a book in bed: the impact on human sleep. A randomized controlled crossover trial.
- Consolidation during sleep of perceptual learning of spoken language
- Cardiac activity during sleep onset
- Associations between sleep loss and increased risk of obesity and diabetes
- Effects of poor and short sleep on glucose metabolism and obesity risk
- High-glycemic-index carbohydrate meals shorten sleep onset
- Relationship between Food Intake and Sleep Pattern in Healthy IndividualsShort Sleep Duration Is Associated with Reduced Leptin, Elevated Ghrelin, and Increased Body Mass Index
- Relationship between Food Intake and Sleep Pattern in Healthy Individuals
- Effect of kiwifruit consumption on sleep quality in adults with sleep problems.
- Isocaloric diet changes and electroencephalographic sleep.
- Effects of Diet on Sleep Quality
- Effects of Diet on Sleep Quality1,2
- Diet promotes sleep duration and quality
- The Influence of Diet on Sleep
- Does Cigarette Smoking Increase Sleep Problems?
- Sleep disturbances associated with cigarette smoking
- Effect of night smoking, sleep disturbance, and their co-occurrence on smoking outcomes.
- How smoking affects sleep: A polysomnographical analysis
- Alcohol and Sleep I: Effects on Normal Sleep
- The within-person association between alcohol use and sleep duration and quality in situ: An experience sampling study
- Circadian rhythms, alcohol and gut interactions
- Evening alcohol suppresses salivary melatonin in young adults.
- The effect of aromatherapy with lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) on serum melatonin levels
- Lavender bath oil reduces stress and crying and enhances sleep in very young infants
- Effects of Work Stress on Ambulatory Blood Pressure, Heart Rate, and Heart Rate Variability
- The restorative effect of naps on perceptual deterioration
- The relationship of HRV to sleep EEG and sleep rhythm