A total station is an electronic instrument used for surveying and building construction. It enables the operator to control the instrument from a distance through remote control. Civil engineers and land surveyors primarily use them in order to record features as in topographic surveying or to set out features, such as roads and houses. Total station optimizes the precision and enhances the performance in construction and surveying projects. Hence, the demand for automated total stations offers an opportunity to drive this market.
Total stations are mainly used by land surveyors and civil engineers, either to record features as in topographic surveying or to set out features (such as roads, houses or boundaries). They are also used by archaeologists to record excavations and by police, crime scene investigators, private accident reconstructionists and insurance companies to take measurements of scenes.
2. Mechanical and electrical construction
Robotic or motorized total stations allow the operator to control the instrument from a distance via remote control. This eliminates the need for an assistant staff member as the operator holds the retroreflector and controls the total station from the observed point. These motorized total stations can also be used in automated setups known as Automated Motorized Total Station (AMTS).
Total Stations, with their microprocessors, can perform a variety of functions and computations, depending on how they are programmed. The capabilities vary with different instruments, but some standard computations include:
- Averaging multiple angle and distance measurements.
- Correcting electronically measured distances from prism constant, atmospheric pressure, and temperature.
- Making curvature and refraction corrections to elevations determine by trigonometric levelling.
- Reducing slope distances to their horizontal and vertical components.
- Calculating point elevations from the vertical distance components (supplemented with keyboard input of instrument and reflector heights).
- Computing coordinates of survey points from horizontal angle and horizontal distance.
List of the Top Key Players of Total Stations Market:
1. Changzhou Dadi Surveying Science and Technology Co., Ltd.
3. GUANGDONG KOLIDA INSTRUMENT CO., LTD.
4. Hexagon AB
6. South Surveying and Mapping Technology CO., LTD.
8. Suzhou FOIF Co. Ltd.
10. Trimble Inc.
Category: Electronics and Semiconductor
Keywords: Total Stations, Hardware and Software, Consumer Electronics
Text sources: The Insight Partners