There are numerous idioms in the English language. Today we will learn the ones with colours so you can add some hues (відтінки) to your conversation.
1. Out of the blue - if something happens out of the blue, it is completely unexpected
Out of the blue - несподівано, раптом
e.g. One day, out of the blue, she announced that she was leaving.
2. Once in a blue moon - not very often
Once in a blue moon - дуже рідко
e.g. My sister lives in Alaska, so I only see her once in a blue moon.
3. Green with envy - wishing very much that you had what someone else has
Green with envy - заздрити (позеленіти від заздрощів)
e.g. When I heard about his new job I was green with envy.
4. To be green - not experienced or trained
To be green - недосвідчений
e.g. I was very green when I started working there.
5. White lie - a lie that is told in order to be polite or to stop someone from being upset by the truth
White lie - безневинна брехня
e.g. A little white lie to help morale couldn't hurt, I figured.
6. Black and white - a black-and-white subject or situation is one in which it is easy to understand what is right and wrong
Black and white - просто, зрозуміло
e.g. I think we are living in a world where people want to see things in black and white terms
7. Grey area - a situation that is not clear or where the rules are not known
Grey area - неясність, незрозумілість, невизначеність
e.g. Once again, it's one of those grey areas where there needs to be a change in the law.