Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market: Introduction
- Dried blood spot collection is a procedure of collecting blood on a paper card made of cellulose to perform various diagnoses of diseases. This is a simple, noninvasive, and inexpensive blood collection method, which reduces the risk of bacterial contamination or hemolysis. DBS cards can be preserved for long periods, with almost no deterioration of the analytes.
- Increase in number of newborns and rise in demand for disease screening boost the growth of the global dried blood spot collection cards market. Moreover, product launch and introduction of technologically advanced products fuel the growth of the global market. GenTegra launched Ahlstrom GenSaver 2.0 Forensic card that offers superior protection and ability to provide substantially high yields of DNA than the classic FTA card.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it Big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market
- Increase in demand for newborn screening drives the global dried blood spot collection cards market. Rise in number of newborns drives the need of newborn screening for various diseases. According to the world population clock, over 88 billion births were reported in 2015 i.e., about 250 births per minute. Of these, more than 2.8 million babies die within the first month due to lack of skilled care and screening. Screening is required to prevent this phenomenon. Dried blood spot collection cards are used to detect various metabolic disorders. These dried spots can also be made available to parents for further health-related tests in newborns.
- However, risk of contamination and dependence on adequate sampling is likely to hamper market growth. Contamination of filter paper samples can have a substantial effect on the newborn screening results.
FTA Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- In terms of card type, the global dried blood spot collection cards market can be divided into Whatman 903, Ahlstrom 226, FTA, and others
- Whatman 903, primarily used for HIV load and HIV drug resistance (HIVDR) testing, dominated the global dried blood spot collection cards market in terms of revenue in 2018. Rise in number HIV cases drives the segment. According to the Minority HIV/AIDS Fund, about 37.9 million people across the globe were suffering from HIV/AIDS in 2018.
- However, FTA cards are expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period. These cards offer secure and reliable method for room temperature collection, transport, and storage of DNA.
North America to Dominate Global Dried Blood Spot Collection Cards Market
- In terms of region, the global dried blood spot collection cards market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global dried blood spot collection cards market in 2018 and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The market in the region is driven by high demand for newborn screening for the detection of hypothyroidism, PKU, galactosemia, and sickle-cell disease. According to the CDC, around 1 in every 300 newborns are detected with one of the core conditions through newborn screening every year.
- The market in Europe is likely to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Rise in health care facilities and increase in investment & strategic steps taken by various companies boost the growth of the market in the region. In May 2017, DBS System SA raised CHF 2.5 Mn, including direct investment by a Switzerland-based pension fund, to manufacture a micro blood collection device, which is capable of passive plasma separation.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape, Ask for a Customized Report
More Trending Reports by Transparency Market Research - https://www.biospace.com/article/innovations-and-advancements-to-encourage-growth-of-global-single-use-bioprocessing-systems-market/