Laser cutting is applied to different materials and components where reliable, quick, and force-free processing is needed for complex contours. In this technique, lasers create narrow kerfs and achieve high precision cuts. This approach demonstrates no distortion, and in many situations, post-processing is not required since only a limited amount of heat input is subjected to the material and mostly are dross-free.
Nearly all kinds of metals can be micromachined by laser; the most common applications are silicon, steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Other parts micromachined by laser are made of wood, plastics, glass, and ceramics.
Laser micromachining is cost-effective for large scale as well as small-batch production compared with alternative techniques such as die-cutting. Localized input of laser energy provides small focal diameters, small kerf widths, high feed rate, and minimal heat input, this is a significant advantage of laser cutting.
Laser micromachining of silicon substrates
In addition to metals, a wide range of other items, including semiconductors, plastics, organic materials, ceramics, paper, graphite, diamonds, and composite materials, can be micromachined with the laser. With very high precision and low heat input, mono and poly-crystalline silicon wafers can be cut at high speeds using the same ablation process for edge isolation and drilling.
Choose Laserod Technologies for micromachining of silicon substrates
Laserod specializes in laser machining of Silicon (Si). We offer precision laser cutting, scribing, coring (resizing), flat or notch cutting, micro-drilling holes, singulation, and dicing of Silicon and MEMS devices. Typically, applications of laser machining silicon include the manufacture of MEMS devices, sensors, detectors, and solar cells.
· Our laser's kerf loss is typically 30 microns with 10um optional. The laser cutting edge stays sharp – improving yield, and the cutting edge suffers no wear and tear.
· We work to low tolerances and very fine cuts.
· Tolerances in our laser working of silicon run a few microns, with the fineness of our laser cuts down to 10 microns.
· High power, high precision gives better results.
· High laser power at a favorable wavelength focused on a small spot, and the beam controlled by top precision mechanics gives superior results in coring, cutting, scribing channels, dicing, and hole drilling of Silicon.
Laserod Technologies is one of the industry’s commanding experts in laser micromachining of polymers & other substrates for microscale applications. Our high pulse femtosecond and picosecond laser micromachining are uniquely suited for microscale-polymer machining for many applications. For all kinds of grooving, slotting, or scribing on thin materials, metals and polymers, contact Laserod today at 1-888-991-9916 / 1-310-340-1343 for projects and inquiries!