Low-cost Implementation of Silicon Temperature Sensors in Biomedical Applications
Apart from high demand from the consumer electronics and automotive sectors, manufacturers of silicon temperature sensors are extending their production arms in medical and biomedical sensing technology. As silicon sensors assist as a cost-effective option in PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and IC (Integrated Circuit) mounting, manufacturers are employing their functionality in healthcare and industrial applications.
In the silicon temperature sensor market, revenue from the healthcare industry is predicted to reach ~US$ 47 million in the year 2027. Correspondingly, manufacturers are increasing focus on microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) technology in the healthcare space. Thus, for biomedical applications, these silicon sensors support in improving the quality of human life and provide insights in the field of microfabrication.
Get Sample Copy:
The advantages of silicon sensors help manufacturers fabricate electrodes and substrates to develop improved prototypes of multifunctional sensing. In the silicon temperature sensor market, manufacturers are experimenting on lab-on-a-chip systems for biomedical applications. Silicon sensor’s efficient semiconducting and low-cost implementation attributes are exploited by stakeholders in multifunctional medical applications.
Printed Sensors Provide Temperature Sensing Flexibility in Industrial Applications
After identity, location, and time, the most important information required is temperature. Due to the increasing demand for insights on temperature in various applications, manufacturers in the silicon temperature sensor landscape are catering to niche areas of industrial manufacturing, food, and product safety.
The global industrial space of the silicon temperature sensor market is estimated to reach ~US$ 55 million in 2027. With the influx of global connectivity, manufacturers are eying opportunities for Internet of Things (IoT). Temperature sensing in industrial applications is rapidly changing from simple data logging to reports on monitoring-intervention-control (MIC) in real time. In such cases, printed sensors provide flexibility for temperature sensing, virtually in almost all industrial applications.
The trend of printed sensors in industrial applications has encouraged manufacturers to develop negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistors that are based on the novel printed silicon technology. Manufacturers in the silicon temperature sensor market are combining these thermistors with other printed components such as humidity and pressure sensors. They are also increasing their manufacturing capacities of printed sensors for a variety of conventional electronics to provide insights on MIC.
Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report:
Bendable Substrates Gain Prominence in Printed Devices
Though silicon temperature sensors are gaining increased applications in IoT and electronics, certain limitations of the technology are likely to negatively influence market growth.
The silicon temperature sensor market is facing a potential threat from advanced printed sensors that are not based on the principles of traditional silicon sensor systems. These printed sensors attached in printed devices offer better flexibility for applications in consumer electronics, due to their low-profile bendable substrates. These advanced sensors also provide better cost-efficiency than conventional silicon sensors, as manufacturers require minimum material cost to combine these advanced sensors with measurement systems on a single substrate.
Thus, manufacturers need to make advancements in better designs to capitalize on the profits in the growing sector of printed devices. Manufacturers should replace traditional PCB designs with more bendable substrates in the silicon temperature sensor market.
Analysts’ Viewpoint on Silicon Temperature Sensor Market
New trends in the silicon temperature sensor market are influenced by applications in IoT. The development of digestible sensors based on water-soluble silicon dioxide mixed with potato starch-based polymer is capable of providing insights on the temperature linked to various foods. However, the microsensors need to be connected to a microbattery and biodegradable cables, which is not an ideal situation for researchers in the food & beverage space. Thus, manufacturers are devising strategies to wirelessly power sensors for data collection. Manufacturers should expand the application of advanced substrates in efficacious biomedical sensing prototypes. They should also focus on high incremental opportunities for printed electronics in clothing and consumer products.
Request For Customization:
Global Silicon Temperature Sensor Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global silicon temperature sensor market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and the forecast period of 2019–2027, the growing number of industries using silicon temperature sensors is expected to boost the global silicon temperature sensor market during the forecast period.
- In terms of revenue, the global silicon temperature sensor market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 523 Mn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 6.5% throughout the forecast period.
- In terms of volume, the global silicon temperature sensor market is forecasted to reach ~688 million units by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~7% during the forecast period.
Inclination toward Next Generation Smart Sensors: A Key Driver
- With increasing industry development, end users are inclined to modernize their existing structure with the implementation of smart sensors, as these smart sensors provide features such as multi-sensing ability, smart calibration, digital sensor data, and remote monitoring.
- Silicon temperature sensors are gaining increasing importance for next-generation smart sensor systems. Temperature sensing is crucial for environmental condition monitoring and control & process automation, whether it is for an integrated device or for a single temperature device.
- Next generation smart sensors are highly focused on in-situ and in-line applications, and are reliable for harsh environments. Current research and development activities in this field are focused on extending their working range to higher temperatures.
- The implementation of silicon temperature sensors as part of frontend or backend procedures is one of the most promising options to keep stride with the advantages of microelectronic technology.
- Eventually, the increasing demand for smart sensors is anticipated to fuel the growth of the global silicon temperature sensor market over the period.
Silicon Temperature Sensor Market: Miniaturization in Sensor Technology the Latest Trend
- One of the major trends adopted by sensor manufacturers is miniaturization and integration. Silicon temperature sensors are smaller in size than other forms of temperature sensors.
- Chip manufacturers require designs in smaller packages that deliver the same resistance and capacitance as their larger versions.
- Inclination toward miniaturization from multiple applications, ranging from handheld devices to automotive connectivity and many other IoT applications, is expected to boost the sales of miniature temperature sensors.
- Sensors are majorly being used across countless applications as the world moves toward connectivity. Multiple sensors with miniaturized designs and very low power requirements are in huge demand. Thus, silicon sensors come into the picture, as these sensors operate in a limited temperature range, i.e. from -55°C to +150°C.
- The above mentioned factors are anticipated to help the global silicon temperature sensor market grow at a significant rate in the coming future.
Narrow Temperature Range of Silicon Temperature Sensors a Major Challenge
- Growth opportunities for the global silicon temperature sensor market can get restricted due to the limited operating temperature range of these sensors. A tight connection exists between silicon and packaging technology; therefore, the temperature range is limited between -55°C to +150°C.
- Hence, these sensors cannot be integrated with high temperature range applications. This is anticipated to limit the growth of the global silicon temperature sensor market during the forecast period of 2019-2027.
- However, in response to the growing demand for silicon temperature sensors in several industries, companies are focusing on research & development activities and innovations to overcome these hurdles.
Global Silicon Temperature Sensor Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of providers of silicon temperature sensors have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Key players operating in the global silicon temperature sensor market are
- KOBOLD Messring GmbH
- NXP Semiconductors
- Omega Engineering Ltd.
- ROHM Semiconductor
- Silicon Laboratories
- Lake Shore Cryotronics, Inc.
- Texas Instruments
- Maxim Integrated.
Global Silicon Temperature Sensor Market: Key Developments
Key providers of silicon temperature sensors, such as NXP Semiconductors, are focusing on forming partnerships and increasing the usage of advanced technologies. Some other key developments in the global silicon temperature sensor market are as follows:
- In June 2017, Omega Engineering Ltd. launched the Pt1000 Pipe Plug Sensor, which can be screwed into the caliper and fed into an on-board data recorder, allowing extremely accurate temperature monitoring performance. This sensor can monitor temperatures of over 680 °C, and conditions of high vibration and shock.
- In September 2017, Danfoss announced plans to acquire thin-film technology sensors from Sensata Technologies. These sensors will be used in the development of sensors for higher application temperature and pressure. As a result of this acquisition, Danfoss expects to fulfil the growing customer demand for heavy duty pressure sensors.
In the report on the global silicon temperature sensor market, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of providers of silicon temperature sensors. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and company market share analysis of key players operating in the global silicon temperature sensor market.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]