With every DUI arrest in California there is a DVM hearing. It determines your driver license privileges. Anyone preparing for one will need to know how to prepare for a DVM hearing. Below is a list of the things you will need to at least keep in mind when preparing.
Step by Step Guide on how to prepare for a dmv hearing,
- Count 10 days from your arrest and write it down.The first step to how to prepare for a dmv hearing is to not miss the deadline. You will need to count 10 days from your date of arrest and write that date down for the next step.
- Pick a lawyerIf you pick a lawyer within 10 day then you will not have to worry about how to prepare for a dmv hearing. The lawyer will doo everything for you. Assuming the or she is experienced and is familair with the DUIs.
- If no lawyerIf for some reason, you deceide to not hire a lawyer then you will need to know how to prepare for a dmv hearing. The first thing is to consider requesting your own DMV hearing. There are more pros then cons here to request a hearing. You will need to call the Driver Safety Office of your area. You can contact the number or if you are in tight spot (ie on the weekends) then you can fax in your request. once you contact them and request a hearing they will give you a date. If you are in Orange County then Orange Driver Safety Office will give you a date within 90 days.
- Review police ReportThis is the most important part on how to prepare for a dmv hearing. You will receive the police report within 3-4 weeks of requesting yoru DMV hearing. From this report you can tell what your BAC was, the reason for the stop, and whether there is any kind of audio and video. (CHP Always has video except for supervisors cars) However, police agency will not give you the audio and the video unless you ask for it.
- Send out SubpoenasIn order to get the video you must send out a subpoena. Be sure you check SDT at top of the forms. This video is useful to compare with the police report. Check the reason for the stop if it matches the report. In addition, if this is a CHP case then you must fill out an MVARS form for the purpose of getting yoru video. In order to how to prepare for a dmv hearing, you can get the forms here under (Dmv Hearing forms)
- In addition, if you had a breathe test in yoru case, then you will also want to get use and calibration logs for your machine.