Golden milk is a beverage that capitalizes on the benefits of turmeric in combination with other healthy ingredients like coconut milk and black pepper. It is a beverage that has been used in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine for centuries, but has recently taken the spotlight in the Western world. A warm, healing beverage also known as turmeric tea, golden milk has natural anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-arthritic, and anti-cancer benefits, among others. Keep reading to learn more about this healthy beverage and how to enjoy it for yourself.
So, what are the health benefits of golden milk? Here is a quick overview:
- Improves memory and speeds learning
- Reduces free-radical damage and oxidative stress
- Relieves arthritis pain and inflammation
- Improves blood pressure and reduces LDL cholesterol
- Prevents or inhibits colon, breast, and pancreatic cancers
- Slows the progression of neurodegenerative disease
- Supports over 160 individual physiological functions
- 1 cup milk, unsweetened almond, coconut, or dairy
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, optional
- 1/4 tablespoon each of ground turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
- freshly ground black pepper
In a small saucepan, gently heat the milk of your choice with the honey and optional coconut oil.
Bring to the point where it is almost boiling, then remove from heat.
Whisk in the spices until well blended. Strain through a fine mesh strainer, if desired.
Add some freshly ground pepper, stir with a cinnamon stick and serve.